Welcome to all our customers old and new! Last month we looked at some common myths about vaping and the science that debunks them. This months blog is going to focus on some key differences between vaping and smoking and the benefits of making the switch! We aim to provide you with accurate and up-to-date information about the vaping industry. As a small independent vape company, we take pride in offering the best customer service possible and ensuring a warm and welcoming environment for our customers. We hope you enjoy this next instalment of our monthly blog and we welcome any and all feedback. Let us know what YOU want to see in our blogs!
Differences between Vaping and Smoking:
- Inhalation Process: Smoking involves the combustion of tobacco, producing smoke that contains thousands of harmful chemicals, including tar and carbon monoxide. Vaping, on the other hand, involves heating a liquid (e-liquid) containing nicotine, flavorings, and other ingredients to create an aerosol that is inhaled. This process eliminates combustion, thus significantly reducing exposure to harmful chemicals found in cigarette smoke.
- Chemical Composition: Cigarette smoke contains numerous toxic chemicals, including carcinogens such as benzene and formaldehyde. Vape aerosol, although not entirely free from chemicals, contains significantly fewer toxic substances than cigarette smoke. E-liquids generally consist of propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, flavorings, and nicotine (optional). While nicotine is addictive, it is not considered the primary cause of smoking-related diseases.
- Secondhand Effects: Smoking produces secondhand smoke, which poses health risks to those exposed. Vaping, on the other hand, produces secondhand aerosol, which is considerably less harmful. While further research is ongoing, current evidence suggests that the risks associated with secondhand aerosol exposure are minimal compared to secondhand smoke.
Benefits of Vaping as an Alternative:
- Harm Reduction: Vaping has the potential to be a less harmful alternative to smoking. By eliminating combustion and reducing exposure to harmful chemicals, it can significantly lower the health risks associated with smoking-related diseases, such as lung cancer, heart disease, and respiratory issues.
- Variety and Customisation: One advantage of vaping is the wide variety of e-liquid flavors available, allowing users to personalize their vaping experience. This variety can help individuals transition from smoking to vaping more easily by offering an alternative that mimics the sensory aspects of smoking.
- Smoking Cessation Aid: Many smokers find it challenging to quit smoking due to nicotine addiction and habitual behavior. Vaping can serve as an effective smoking cessation aid by providing nicotine in a less harmful form and allowing users to gradually reduce their nicotine intake over time. Some studies have shown promising results in terms of vaping’s effectiveness as a smoking cessation tool.
- Cost Savings: Switching from smoking to vaping can lead to significant cost savings. The exact amount saved will vary depending on individual smoking habits and the cost of vaping supplies in your area. However, on average, vaping tends to be more cost-effective in the long run.Let’s consider a rough estimate: A pack-a-day smoker in the UK spends around £10-£12 on cigarettes. In contrast, the cost of vaping can vary depending on the device and e-liquid used, but a month’s supply of e-liquid and coils typically ranges from £20 to £50. Over time, these savings can add up to hundreds or even thousands of pounds per year.
- Chemical Composition: Cigarettes contain a complex mixture of over 7,000 chemicals, including at least 70 known carcinogens. These chemicals arise from the combustion of tobacco and additives in the cigarette, contributing to the harmful effects of smoking. On the other hand, e-liquids used in vaping typically contain a much smaller number of ingredients. The primary components are propylene glycol (PG) and vegetable glycerin (VG), both of which are commonly used in various food and pharmaceutical products. Flavorings are added for taste, and nicotine may be included but is not mandatory.
While e-liquids may contain trace amounts of certain chemicals, numerous studies have shown that they contain significantly fewer harmful substances compared to cigarette smoke. Public Health England and the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine have conducted extensive research affirming the reduced risk of vaping compared to smoking. By switching to vaping, you not only reduce your exposure to harmful chemicals but also contribute to potential long-term health benefits. At our independent vape company, we aim to provide a range of affordable vaping options that can help you save money while enjoying a potentially less harmful alternative to smoking.
Remember, making the switch to vaping is a personal decision,
and it is important to consider individual circumstances and consult with healthcare professionals for personalised advice.
Check out our deals below!
5 for £15 on Beaum Bar salts online!
- Public Health England: “E-cigarettes: an evidence update” (2015)
- National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine: “Public Health Consequences of E-Cigarettes” (2018)
- Cancer Research UK: “Vaping and Cancer” (2020)